Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mat Kearney Mondays

I hereby institute Mat Kearney Mondays! Only I'm starting on Tuesday because I just came up with the idea but don't want wait until next week. Mat Kearney is hands-down my favorite artist of all time, mostly because his smooth melodic rapping and lyrical genius couples to produce some quality music, but I also love how he gives praise in his music and the secular masses obliviously adore his work anyway.

I've seen Mat in concert a few times, and it always makes me smile to see the variety of his fans - some, with hands open and eyes closed, are obviously sharing in the praise and worship of his music, while others just like his sweet beats. So with that, each week I'll be introducing you to some of my favorite lyrics from my second favorite lyricist (second only to Eminem, of course).

This week's selection, from his hit song Closer to Love on his newest album, City of Black and White, is a beautiful reminder that whatever shock-and-awe events we might be asked to endure or suffer through, the pain is only temporary and in that suffering the Lord pulls us closer to his true, lasting, perfect love and peace.

She got the call today
One out of the gray
And when the smoke cleared
It took her breath away
She said she didn't believe
It could happen to me
I guess we're all one phone call from our knees
We're gonna get there soon

Oh, it's your light
Oh, it's your way
Pull me out of the dark
Just to show me the way
Cryin' out now
From so far away...
Pull me closer to love
Closer to love

'Cause you are all that I've waited for
All of my life
You pull me closer to love
Closer to love

www.MatKearney.com

4 comments:

  1. You'll be pleased to know that my friend Jay, who tours with Rachel Birch, is playing a show with Mat Kearney this fall in MPLS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I mean DIANE Birch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Diane Birch Catholic? I notice that she uses Catholic imagery on her CD cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if she is, but I can ask my friend who knows her. Check back!

    ReplyDelete