Sunday, May 3, 2009

God thinks my golf game needs work

By 3 p.m. today, I had already: gone to Mass; played 9 holes of golf; swung by the grocery store to smile at Blue Eyed Butcher; had my car washed by church kids raising money for a mission trip; thrown in some laundry; prayed a rosary; gone for a run; stopped to stretch, rest, pray, and do some crunches on the beach; caught up with three friends on the phone; made chicken tetrazzini for myself and a friend who’s in town visiting later today; and baked peanut butter brownies, vacuumed, and planned a Bible study for campaigners. Now I’m not bragging here, but I really do think that’s some kind of record, and I am pretty sure it can only be accomplished by a single woman.

On my run through Klode park, I couldn’t help but feel my heart melt upon seeing the family with 6 kids under the age of 10 racing up the hill; another family with the father teaching his toddlers how to play catch; another with the sisters calling for their mom’s attention to their kites soaring high; and another father encouraging his boy who was in a wheel chair to keep trying and he would make it up the hill. God was radiating beams of love, joy, and selflessness through every family I saw in the park this morning, and while that put so much gladness in my heart, I couldn’t help but long for a family of my own.

I like to think I am ready for that – for the joy that comes with the sacrifice of laying down one’s life for his or her family. But, what I think doesn’t matter. One day I will be able to see how God has, because I love Him, worked for good with every step I’ve taken.* But in the meantime, I’m going to keep blooming where I’m planted, which I am quite glad, for the time being, includes ample time for 36-holes of golf each weekend.

*"We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

3 comments:

  1. First, I love the title. I have never heard anyone say "You know, after I got married, I got really good at golf". Having said that, my heart desires what I currently don't have in terms of a family, so I know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous that you can play 36 holes of golf each weekend. As for golf after marriage, I think I got Paula hooked, hopefully we'll have a little bit of time to keep on improving our games...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had already done SOOOO many things that day!! an incredible number of things!!

    i am so excited for some time in the future when we will be mommies at the same time and can go to the park for playing and a picnic.

    ReplyDelete