Saturday, May 23, 2009

Uh-oh... I think I'm growing up

A funny phenomenon happens every time I go to Target. I walk in with my list intending to spend around $30, and like magic, I come out with a full cart, at least $100 poorer, and still in need of everything on my list. Never failed... past tense.

But today my Target adventure was different... I proudly managed to sneak away with most of what was on my list, and only $96.38 poorer.

“I absolutely need those pink plaid wedges,” I thought to myself as I strolled through the shoe isles. “No, Annie, you don’t. You want those pink wedges. You’re plenty cute enough without them! Keep walking.”

So as self-ordered, I contently stepped away from the cutest pink plaid wedges ever, thinking about all of the more virtuous and wise ways I could spend that money. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but for anyone who has seen my hallway shoe pile, it is.

As I walked away, it made me smile to see that little bit of personal growth. It’s comforting to know that while I have so much to learn, so far to go, and so much virtue to grow into, the Lord continues to do a good work in me*, and I trust He is pleased with my baby steps.

And that’s a dang good thing, because then I entered the sports section and decided it would be a good idea to buy the golf balls that “promise” ten more yards, for ten more dollars.

So baby steps are what I continue to take... at least they're not being taken in unnecessary pink plaid wedges.

*“I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6

5 comments:

  1. Just when I think I'm growing up, I do something juvenile and stupid. I hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel happy that you are growing up, but i feel sad that you don't have pink plaid wedges.

    i think the shoe pile could do with one more paire - especially if they're pink plaid wedges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Target phenomenon is a real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if your next juveniile move involves a white coat?

    Don't worry, Brie, i have plenty of backups.

    And yes, yes it is a very real thing. I heard it's going to be on MythBusters next season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i looooove Target too! i def always spend more than anticipated. one way that i've learned I'm becoming more "adult" is that now the cooking section/cute food utensils are almost as appealing (and sometimes more!) than the clothes

    ReplyDelete