Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's official: God thinks I'm hilarious

They say if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. I'm glad at least He got such a kick out of my "vacation" week, because I sure didn't.

I had it all planned out. I was going to make it up to Door County by 7 p.m. on Thursday night for dinner and a weekend with my family, depart for Milwaukee two days later to get on the bus with my high school friends for a relaxing and spiritually rewarding week at Castaway where every single one of the girls in my cabin was going to fall in love with Jesus and commit her life to Him, and then we'd get back on the bus on Saturday night, return to Milwaukee by 5 a.m., and I'd have all of Sunday to recoup before being ready to head back to work on Monday morning.

But after my blown out tire on I-43 during rush hour traffic causing both lanes to close, my nasty foot/leg rash from an allergic reaction to the grass at camp, a camper busting her foot open and needing me to take her to the Emergency Room while I was simultaneously trying to manage 40 high school kids who were mad at me (the trip leader) about a bus driver who didn't show up until 12 hours later than he was supposed to, getting pulled over by the Detroit Lakes police on the way back to camp from the ER run, a nasty sinus infection, and really no kids who decided to follow Jesus for the first time, I feel like I was just dragged out of the trenches of the spiritual warfare battlefield.

Hey, you're very welcome, God; I'm happy to give you a good laugh anytime. I'm just glad you're the one in control of that battlefield, because it's becoming more and more clear to me with each passing day that I'm not.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like both of our vacations didn't quite go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I must have stolen your good luck because my friends' wedding and my role as best man/singer went off without a hitch last week, and my tonsillectomy, albeit painful, seems to be a success as well.

    Secondly, my father always told me to think of God as this little old man sitting at the bar with you. He keeps telling you jokes about things in life. Most of them go right over your head, but the ones you understand are zingers! Well now you'll get to understand a couple more of his jokes when you get there :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. annie and dan - you should plan a weekend to come to my house to commiserate about your weekends that didn't go as planned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon: Glad to hear of your recent good fortunes. Who are you?
    Brie (and Dan): Agreed! but not for commiserating. i've done my own fair share of that as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not gonna make things easy on ya Annie. I'm a facebook friend who just lost his tonsils, was just in a wedding, and has an array of medical knowledge. It's a pretty narrow segment of people right there. Why so curious?

    ReplyDelete
  6. just curious... there have been a few "anon" commenter on here, and i didn't know if you were the same one i've asked before or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, it's why I shortened it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. B-R-U-T-A-L!!!!!

    ReplyDelete