Thursday, July 16, 2009

Camping in luxury thread-count sheets?

I’ve never really understood the appeal of camping. It seems to me we’ve moved well beyond the days leaf-stuffed pillows in caves and raccoon tail seared over a fire. And I’ve even been camping a few times, so I speak from experience – a week no-trace backpacking through the San Juan Mountains in Colorado, a Girl Scout trip because it involved a boat, and a high school drum-line outing because my fellow drummers all treated me like a princess. So my favorite things – Colorado, boats, and princess-dom – can get me to sleep under the stars without hesitation. But when given a choice between my pillow-top mattress with luxury thread-count sheets, or a leaking tent across town, it’s really not a difficult choice.

This weekend, however, I’ll be giving it another go, because I have some friends coming through town and camping is on the agenda. I guess it turns out friends make the rank of my “favorite things.” So while I’m tempted to let my friends pitch their tent in my 20’ X 30’ backyard while I am all nestled in my cozy oasis of nightly comfort, I’m saying yes to nature’s call, and am going to “offer it up” while I suffer through the night doing my best to rejoice in my sufferings of a cold, damp, wet, raccoon-infested campground.

And please, let the record state I totally call “dibs” on the first shower.

5 comments:

  1. Dibs on the first shower is a good call, but camping rocks. You are right that we (most of us anyway) are beyond the days of leaf-stuffed pillows, etc., but this is a chance to get back there, if only for a few nights. No cellphones, no TV, no fast food, no email, it is wonderful! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camping + air mattress + beer = good time in my book. You do have an air mattress right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a BIFF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, there was beer and an air mattress, and there was also my cell phone, a portable dvd player, and internet access through a wirelessly routed cell phone modem... i thought about live blogging from the camp site, but that just didn't seem right. no biff, though... i left that in Colorado about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete