Monday, July 27, 2009

I’m Blitzed!

Forgive me, friends, for I have spent a solid three-hours tonight gazing into the tempting, captivating, colorful eyes of my new love, Bejeweled Blitz – the facebook game that’s taking over the lives of innocent homebodies everywhere.

My intentions were good and I had a productive evening all planned out – I grabbed dinner with a friend after work and was headed home to toss in some laundry, stop by my church for a rosary, and dart to the gym for Monday night volleyball and a workout. But I got a bit side tracked; three hours later here I am, owning up to the wasted hours of my life.

There I sat, blitzing myself silly with the allure of sparkly jewels on my MacBook while I ignored my phone ringing in the other room, left my middle-aged volleyball buddies to fend without their star, and intentionally disregarded Bert (my car) on the street with his windows down while the rain soaked his innards. If that’s not blitzed, I don’t know what is.

You might be wondering if this embarrasses me; the answer is yes, absolutely. But it also makes me stop and realize how lucky of a kid I was to have a parents who made me go water the flowers, pull weeds in the driveway, and walk to Seaton’s Grocery (which to this day I promise you is uphill both ways) to pick up milk for dinner, instead of being glued to the Nintendo for my entire childhood.

I admit I had my share of failed attempts of trying to beat my oldest sister’s Tetris score and gathering berries to stave off Scurvy on the Oregon Trail, but I was never allowed to be blitzed, and years later, I am so grateful for that. Although I hated the orders at the time, I sometimes, like tonight, wish I was back at eight-years-old dragging my feet down the stairs as my dad lovingly barked orders for me to go clean up the dog’s kennel; the sweetness of those memories is far more precious than any bejeweled blitz.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, it got you, too? My mom introduced me to it a couple of months ago. Trust me, it does slow down. In the beginning, my mantra of "Uno mas" kept me up far too late at night. I would see shapes falling in front of my eyes, no matter what I was looking at. It's a time-sucker, for sure. But it has slowed down for me. Usually I play a few times a week now, not every day. Paul got majorly competitive with it when I showed it to him, and now his scores blow mine out of the water. It's okay, Annie. Just do it during "non-productive" hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is scary!!! poor Bert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete