Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I want to date a hippie

Although I am far from one, I've always taken a liking toward hippies. Growing up in the People's Republic of Iowa City, a hippie commune of sorts, I've had more than a handful of hippie-ish friends in my day, so I've experiences firsthand how wonderful they are. Besides the fact that they sometimes smell, I tell ya, they are a great group of people! They are kind, generous, forgiving, loving, and best of all, they adore giving flowers... how romantic!

After a friend recently pointed out to me that I tend to be attracted to men who end up being little more than a great game of talk, she suggested I branch out from my typical sporty, all-American, "I talk a fantastic game" Ken doll.

So I'm going to give it a try. Hippies are not about impressing anyone. They don't try to talk a good game. They appreciate the beauty and value of things and people for what they are, and they don't earn their self-worth from their most recent athletic feats that will be a mere memory by the time the kids are old and moved away. With a hippie, what you see is what you get. And I think I could find that oddly attractive. If you know any cute hippies, please send them my way.

And until then, I'm getting one of these...

5 comments:

  1. Hippies tend not to be Conservative. How would you put up w/ that. Also, when the camera wasn't looking, I'm pretty sure the arm pillow was copping a feel on that woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! come on, dan... you know i can put up with a lot more than that! tolerating a political difference would be a walk in the park at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sincerely hope this video makes you reconsider. if it doesn't, we may need to reconsider our friendship.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSEaHyzbqTA

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, i saw that one yesterday... Dr. Wolfe shared it with me, which, pretty much made my week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dan, hippie tree-huggers are too slackerish to be conservative ;-) I don't think it is just an academic political difference that would make for an interesting walk in the park either...the core values are different.

    And I don't think they are any less posers than the rest of us...adult hippies are just rebelious teenagers who never grew up. The walk more in lockstep and pay a heavier price for independent thought than adults/conservatives.

    I think you should look for the qualities you want (appreciation of beauty, kindness, generosity, etc.) in an adult ;-)

    ReplyDelete