Saturday, April 25, 2009

He’s not finished with me yet

I had the joy this morning of witnessing several of my high school friends be confirmed in the Catholic Church. It is one joyful event to watch a group of teenagers stand in front of their families and friends, profess their faith, and receive the Holy Spirit because they personally WANT to make that commitment to Christ and have the Spirit dwell in them permanently. Woah!

I was asking a few of my friends about which name he or she chose. I was blown away at the depth and clarity each had in that selection. One chose Saint Eva, who was healed of her blindness so my friend chose that as a metaphor for being brought into the light of Christ. Another chose Saint Martin because of his commitment to social justice. Point being, these kids have done their research and they mean business!

It got me thinking about my own Confirmation back in high school. I chose the name Eileen when I was confirmed. Why? I was so lame... I wanted an “E” name so my initials would spell out AMEN and I wanted my name to be Irish, but mostly, I thought the Dexys Midnight Runners’ song was super sweet. So, Eileen it was. As it turns out, there is no Saint Eileen (I got away with it because Eileen is the Irish way to say Helen). I mean, I could have picked any other Irish Saint whose name started with an E, like Saint Éadaoin – which means little fire, or one of beauty; or Saint Eithne – who is remembered for living and dying in an ecstasy of love; or one of my new favorites, Saint Eascrach – which means always blooming. But instead, I picked Eileen because I thought the VH1’s top one-hit-wonder of the eighties was super sweet.

Since then, my faith has come a long, long, very long way, and I no longer make major life decisions based on pop music, thank the Lord. It’s encouraging to look back at my Confirmation – the day I was sealed with the Spirit and His gifts – and see how those gifts have indeed grown in me and guided me, and to see how much God has really taught, molded, and formed me over the last decade. It’s in looking back at the journey that I get excited to think about that pattern continuing. Looking back also makes me think about how incredibly lame I must actually be now, but I hope for becoming the virtuous woman God wants me to be.

So, what's in a name? In Shakespearean fashion, it doesn’t really matter. I can certainly model after the many Saints, who lived with a fiery love while constantly blooming. I was lame on a lot of levels. I still am lame on a lot of levels. But if there’s one thing the Lord has taught me, it’s that He’s not finished with me yet, and for that, a hearty THANKS BE TO GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment