Sunday, April 19, 2009

My God box

This weekend I got around to having my “birthday lunch,” albeit 3 months late, with my dear friend Debbie (we went to Berkely’s Cafe, which, I highly recommend, btw). Debbie is full of wisdom and encouraging words, and even as a Baby Boomer she always shows me what it means to have faith as confident and dependent as a child’s. Debbie is a mentor of sorts to me. I had quite a few things I was looking forward talking with her about, and per usual, she came through with the exact wisdom and encouragement I desperately needed.


Debbie told me about her “God box,” and encouraged me to quit simply praying that God’s will be done, and to start praying for the desires of my heart. If we are truly delighting in the Lord and truly seeking him, it is A-OK to knock and ask for specifics. He is our Abba Father – Pappa, Daddy – and he loves to take care of us, rejoice over us, and shower us with blessings! Good grief, are we lucky or what?


Too often I feel guilty and selfish when asking God for specifics – but why? As Jesus agonized in the garden of Gethsemane, he did this himself! “Father, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” Why do we then, as followers of Christ, de-emphasize the first portion of that prayer? Jesus asked his Father for the specific desire of his heart – that he remove the forthcoming suffering. Of course, it is followed with the “thy will be done” prayer, but let’s put the example of Christ into practice and start being real with God and asking him for specifics. He already knows the desires of our hearts, so if those desires are such that glorify God and are in line with his commandments, there is no reason to avoid being honest with him, or refrain from asking him to grant those desires. Prayer is a conversation – talking and listening – with God. We may or may not get “our way,” but it is exactly because as believers we sincerely and ultimately want God’s will to be done, that we have the freedom to approach the throne honestly and humbly, presenting our petitions to our loving Father.


So here’s the point of this first post… I’m following the example of my friend, and starting my “God box.” When I have a request to make to God, I now write that specific prayer on a piece of paper, usually with some supporting scripture or request for a specific Saint to partner with me in that prayer, and I give it over to the Almighty by putting it in my God box with a trusting, hopeful, humble heart. I confidently trust that he’ll either grant my petition, or blow me away with an even greater plan that I may not understand until I see him face to face. But… by honestly asking for specifics, whenever I offer any prayer, I have the confidence that God knows the desires of my heart that I have laid at his feet… or, as the case may be, put in my God box.


“Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

“Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Matt 7:7

“Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” Luke 22:42

2 comments:

  1. Yay for an Annie blog! I am excited to see you writing, and I will be keeping up with you (I prefer reading blogs over facebook any day). Thanks for a reminder to pray specifically, as He already knows our hearts. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Annie! This is so exciting! Post often so I have something to do at work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete